Try this simple quiz as a first step to finding out:
- I worry about being overweight. Yes/No
- I’m usually on a diet of some sort. Yes/No
- Every day I spend a lot of time thinking about what to eat and what not to eat. Yes/No
- I quite often feel guilty after eating. Yes/No
- If my favorite food’s not in the house, I’ll hunt around the shops at night to buy some. Yes/No
- When I exercise I’m thinking about how many calories I’m burning up. Yes/No
- I often eat until I feel bloated. Yes/No
- I sometimes use laxatives to help me lose weight. Yes/No
- I don’t like going out to dinner or eating in company. Yes/No
- I feel more in control when I don’t eat. Yes/No
- The thought of just having normal meals makes me miserable. Yes/No
- I’ll only be happy when I’m the right size and shape. Yes/No
If you’ve answered ‘Yes’ to six or more of these questions, it’s suggested you seriously think about getting some help.
This questionnaire cannot replace an evaluation by a professional, and is only a first guide in the assessment process. If you are at all worried about your relationship to food, please seek a professional diagnosis.